Tuesday 21 August 2012

One year!

So I've been wondering if there is a reason why I've been putting off this post. Partly, I felt like it needed to be special, and also because I can't believe a year has gone by already. It seems like I am hanging on to this post as to not let go of Oliver's babyhood. I have poured a lot of myself into this blog and I am sad that the weekly pictures are done now. I should say that we never planned to do a full year. I saw a friend do these weekly pictures and thought it was a great idea...but I didn't really think about how many we should do. And so, here we are. I am so glad to have this compilation of pictures, milestones and memories. And I hope to continue the blog, perhaps a little more sporadically now though.

Here it is, a couple months late: the post about Oliver's first year.

1 YEAR!

Cute smile, sandwich mouth
 Cat cake
 Poke
 Shove
 Sugar Sugar

Oliver's first birthday was a very memorable day. He shared the day with most of his family, some in person and some via facetime. We all watched him explore his first chocolate cake (and first edible cat's face) from pulling off the whisker, to sticking his finger in the icing for a taste, to finally shoving a whole wedge in his mouth. He ate two big pieces and then went back to eating his grapes. He received some amazing and wonderful presents (thanks again everyone) and continued to spend the rest of the afternoon loving life (and sugar).

This last year has been quite a rollercoaster ride. The ups of walking, talking and eating new foods. Of building forts and exploring the grassy parks nearby. Of watching Oliver interact with family and friends, and seeing the world through his eyes. There were also some downs. There was the endless nights of sleep deprivation, the new teeth, the colds, the flus and the fevers of daycare. There was the first few months which I can now say were really tough, and the constant bouncing... walking... or tiptoeing around. This experience has been more intense than I could ever imagine, and it has only just begun.

Everyday things get a little more fun, a little more exciting, and a little easier...or at least different. No, they really are easier now. Oliver is able to communicate through signs, gestures, noises, a few words and of course pointing. Boy does that kid ever point a lot! He can also walk and lead me to the things that interest him. He is able to hold and manipulate objects and is fascinated by how things work. He has an interest in small objects, and how they make up larger objects. He likes to take things apart and put them back together. He has a real soft side and loves to cuddle and hug stuffed animals. He has such a drive that I know he is going to do amazing things for this world one day. I am so grateful that I have Oliver. He has opened my eyes to life in a completely new way and made me realize what is important.

Thank you, Oliver.

Happy Birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment